7 Jun 2006

Fire destroys dormitory at Fiji school

9:33 am on 7 June 2006

About 200 boarding school students in Fiji had to flee for their lives when fire engulfed their dormitory.

The fire occurred at about 3.00am yesterday as the students were asleep at the government-owned Ratu Kadavulevu School in Tailevu province.

There was no loss of life or injuries but the students lost all their belongings and have been sent home for a week.

They will receive trauma counseling on their return.

The Red Cross has stepped in to help by providing 200 blankets, 400 T-shirts, water containers and assorted clothing.

The fire is reported to have started from a burning mosquito coil.