29 Nov 2007

PNG fundraising campaign for flood victims to be extended throughout Pacific

8:10 pm on 29 November 2007

A fund established earlier this week to support the victims of the disaster in Papua New Guinea will shortly be seeking backing from across the region.

164 people have been confirmed dead and thousands have been left homeless after floods swamped the Oro province two weeks ago.

Although tonnes of food and medicine have been distributed, more supplies are needed.

The executive director of the Halivim Wantok Disaster Appeal, Michaelyn Iewago, says several companies have already donated money, but they are hoping for more.

"The appeal is running for three weeks. Since it was launched on Sunday it hasn't not yet been a week, but yes we are hoping to raise more funds. So we call on anyone who is interested in donating or helping out in any way."

Michaelyn Iewago says people can make a donation in their local Telikom or bank branches, while people in other Pacific nations can go to their website that will be launched in the next few days and follow the instructions there.

She says they will forward the money to aid agencies.