A Kiribati newspaper which has twice been ordered by the government to stop publication is now officially closing its doors.
The Kiribati Independent is stopping its publications as police investigate complaints against it made by the Ministry of Communications.
On two occasions, in March and May, the newspaper received instructions from the Ministry to cease publication until the paper had been registered.
The publisher and editor Taberranang Korauaba says police officers visited the paper on Monday this week and he says it is appropriate they be allowed to investigate complaints that the paper had breached the Newspaper Registration Act.
Mr Korauaba says the paper cannot operate under such difficult circumstances but he trusts the issue will be resolved soon.