20 Mar 2015

Another protest on Nauru, as refugees sustain injuries

10:13 am on 20 March 2015

A refugee advocacy group says around 350 refugees from camps across Nauru staged a peaceful protest yesterday.

Protesting asylum seekers on Nauru.

Protesting asylum seekers on Nauru. Photo: Supplied

The Refugee Action Coalition says the protest follows an assault on refugees at Ananbare camp on Wednesday night.

It says two masked assailants, carrying a baseball bat, on a motorcycle and a machete, attacked two refugees outside the camp.

One refugee was struck across the back by the bat as they rode past.

A refugee who claims he was struck across the back with a bat by a masked assailant on a motorbike.

A refugee who claims he was struck across the back with a bat by a masked assailant on a motorbike. Photo: Supplied

Earlier this week two refugees were badly hurt when they were hit by a shower of rocks thrown by locals.

But the Nauru government dismissed the claims saying instead their speeding motorcycle crashed, and the two Iranians may have been under the influence of alcohol.

Meanwhile, on Wednesday a scheduled court appearance by protesters arrested on the 4th of March was adjourned until the 8th of April after the magistrate listed 11 people , while the prosecution listed only 10 - including children.

There is still no indication of what charges are being laid against those arrested.

Protesting refugees at the asylum seeker processing centre on Nauru.

Protesting refugees at the asylum seeker processing centre on Nauru. Photo: Supplied

Get the new RNZ app

for ad-free news and current affairs