1 Oct 2015

Nauru local loses benefits over protest

11:11 am on 1 October 2015

A Nauru local has lost his over-60 benefits for allegedly participating in anti-government riots more three months ago.

Ronald Sandy Deduna received a letter from the Nauru government on Monday advising him his welfare payments and Nauru airline benefits had been revoked.

The letter says Cabinet made a decision last week that people involved in protests, riots and other criminal activities should cease to receive government privileges.

Nauru letter

A letter sent to a member of the public by the Nauru government Photo: SUPPLIED

It says Cabinet has been advised Mr Deduna was involved in the riots and he would no longer be receiving any benefits.

After the riots, several dozen people were sacked from their jobs.

Get the new RNZ app

for ad-free news and current affairs