12 Jan 2018

Nephew accuses suspended Guam Archbishop of sexual abuse

3:21 pm on 12 January 2018

A new accusation of sexual abuse has been levelled against the suspended Guam Archbishop Anthony Apuron, this time by his nephew.

Dulce Nombre de Maria Cathedral Basilica in Guam

Dulce Nombre de Maria Cathedral Basilica in Guam Photo: 123rf

On Wednesday, Mark Apuron told the Guam Daily Post that in 1990 when he was 16-years-old, his uncle raped him in a chancery bathroom while a family gathering was going on outside.

He said the incident left him ashamed and petrified and says at the time he believed his uncle was powerful and untouchable.

Mark Apuron said as a result of the incident he became estranged from his family.

The 43-year-old Navy veteran told the daily post that for the past 27 years he had been ashamed to speak out thinking he was the only one.

He said even hearing about the multiple accusations of sexual abuse against his uncle it has taken him more than a year to build up the courage to come forward.

Mark Apuron said he will be filing a lawsuit this week against his uncle accusing the suspended archbishop of sexually abusing him.

More than 130 people have now filed sexual abuse lawsuits against Guam's Archdiocese.

Get the new RNZ app

for ad-free news and current affairs