Timaru lighthouse moves
For nearly 100 years, the Timaru lighthouse looked out over the sea and shinned brightly for sailors negoitating their way up the South Island or into Timaru Harbour. The light was first lit on 1st July, 1878 and served Timaru as the main harbour light until 1970. The historic lighthouse was moved to a new home in 1980 in Maori Park. But plans for the new Caroline Bay Aquatic Centre forced another move for the old lighthouse a few days ago.