Retailer celebrates 140 years of operation
In 1865, a young entrepreneur who had lost his savings in the Thames gold rush started selling goods from a wheelbarrow around the Martinborough region as the town was just getting started. George Pain traded the wheel barrow for a site in the town square and took on a partner, John Kershaw. The store became known as the Harrods of the Wairarapa. Pain and Kershaw is still going strong today and remains one of the oldest family owned businesses in the country. Next month it will celebrate it's 140th anniversary.