The finalists for the Taite Music Prize have been announced, and they're some of RNZ Music's favourite artists. The prize recognises outstanding creativity in an album or EP. The winner will be announced at a ceremony at Auckland's Civic Theatre on Tuesday, April 17.
The eight albums in contention for the 2018 Taite Music Prize are:
- Nadia Reid - Preservation
- Aldous Harding - Party
- Grayson Gilmour - Otherness
- Fazerdaze - Morningside
- TEEKS -The Grapefruit Skies EP
- Kane Strang - Two Hearts and No Brain
- Mermaidens - Perfect Body
- The Bads - Losing Heroes
The Taite Music Prize recognises outstanding creativity in an album or EP. It's named for respected music journalist, the late Dylan Taite. The winning artist will receive a cash prize of $10,000 and recording time at Red Bull Studios in Auckland.
The eight finalists were selected from a long-list of 92 nominations, which were submitted by independent and major record labels. The shortlist was decided by a group of Independent Music NZ members (the industry body that administers the prize), as well as 10 outside judges, including musicians, music journalists and music industry personnel.
The winner will be announced at a ceremony at Auckland's Civic Theatre on Tuesday, April 17.
Alongside the main prize, two additional awards will be presented: the Classic Record Award and the Best Independent Debut Award, which celebrates new talent.
Aldous Harding performs 'Party' live at RNZ:
- The Mixtape: Aldous Harding
- Inside the world of Aldous Harding
- The Sampler: Party by Aldous Harding
- Aldous Harding performs 'Swell Does the Skull' live for RNZ Music
- NZ LIVE: Aldous Harding 'Horizon'
Fazerdaze performs live from her home studio/bedroom in Grey Lynn:
We visit Grayson Gilmour at his studio in Wellington:
- Grayson Gilmour performs ‘Hundred Waters’ live
- Grayson Gilmour performs ‘Lichtung’ live at The Others’ Way Festival 2017
- The Sampler: Otherness by Grayson Gilmour
Kane Strang – ‘Two Hearts and No Brain’ live at the Roseneath Long Hall:
- Kane Strang: an interview and live set for The Wireless
- The Sampler: Two Hearts and No Brain by Kane Strang
'Tastes Like It Sounds' - Mermaidens describe what their music would be like if it were food:
- Mermaidens: an interview and live set for The Wireless
- A week in the life of Mermaidens
- NZ Live: Mermaidens – ‘Cold Skin’
- Audio: Mermaidens - Live At The Others Way Festival
NZ Live | Nadia Reid - 'Preservation':
- Anatomy Of A Scroll: Nadia Reid, 'Richard'
- NZ LIVE: Nadia Reid 'Call the Days'
- The Sampler: Preservation by Nadia Reid
Teeks performs 'Wash Over Me' live:
- Teeks performs 'If Only' live
- NZ Festival Review: Teeks and Ria Hall
- The Sampler: The Grapefruit EP by Teeks
- Teeks: heart and so much soul