Spectrum for 12 May 2013
She left home in the 1800's, and returned only fifteen years ago. After a multi-million dollar restoration, Mataatua Wharenui is back on Whakatane's foreshore. The 24-metre long meeting house was sent abroad in 1879 by the New Zealand government and displayed in Australia and London before being erected at the Otago Museum for seventy years. Spectrum's David Steemson traces her story.