This Way Up
Saturday 1 October 2011, with Simon Morton
NZ Radio Awards 2012 winner: Best Daily or Weekly Series (one hour or more duration)
Audio from Saturday 1 October 2011
Not all audio is available due to copyright restrictions.
Home Brewing 1 ( 19′ 32″ )
12:15 Can you make your own craft beer at home for a fraction of the cost of the stuff in shops and bars? That's the challenge, as we kick off a new homebrewing series with Stu McKinlay of Yeastie Boys.
Naked Science ( 13′ 36″ )
12:30 The latest science news with Dr Chris Smith of the Naked Scientists. This week, using Twitter to map the mood of the world, and the ultimate slippery surface that could be used to fight graffiti.
Detecting fake reviews ( 10′ 33″ )
12:50 Rating and review websites are all over the internet these days. You can rate everything from your local cafe to a childcare centre but how can you tell if the review is real or just someone else's fake opinions? Myle Ott from Cornell University's developed software to tell if a review is genuine.
Annoying ( 18′ 33″ )
13:15 The science of what bugs us. Joe Palca's just written a book called 'Annoying' with Flora Lichtmann.
Container history (and container love!) ( 18′ 24″ )
13:35 A New Zealand history of the shipping container with Gavin McLean. Plus Christine Reitze of Container Love in Christchurch is trying to make the ugly metal boxes dotted round the city look more pretty.
Smoking and appetite ( 5′ 52″ )
13:55 Professor Marina R. Picciotto of Yale University is leading research into how smoking affects appetite and why, on average, smokers weigh 2.5kg less than non-smokers.
- Quick Hits
- 12:15 Homebrewing part 1
- 12:30 Naked Science
- 12:50 On line reviews, fact or fiction
- 13:15 Annoying
- 13:35 NZ Container history & and container love!
- 13:55 Smoking and appetite
- The Small Print
- First up this week, light and bitter, pale and dark, malt and hops, we kick off a new homebrewing series with Yeastie Boy, Stu McKinlay. So how can you make your own craft beer at home for a fraction of the cost of the stuff in shops and bars? That's the challenge, and Stu will be taking us through all the kit you need and the processes you'll need to follow to start making your own lovely brews at home.
- Then at 12:30pm the latest science news with Dr Chris Smith of the Naked Scientists. This week, using Twitter to map the mood of the world. Using MRI's to delve deeper into our minds plus the ultimate slippery surface that could be used to fight graffiti.
- And before the 1pm news, rating and review websites are all over the internet these days. You can rate everything from your local cafe to a childcare centre but can you tell if the review is real or just someone else's fake opinions? We're speaking to a chap who's developed software to tell if a review is genuine.
- After the 1pm news, the science of what bugs us. Joe Palca's just written a book called 'Annoying'.
- Then at 1.30pm, a New Zealand history of the shipping container. These standardised metal boxes have been transporting everything from cars to clothes to us for 40 years. In the process they've revolutionised global trade and the way our ports look. We also head to Christchurch where the shipping container's become a necessary but slightly unwelcome part of everyday life. Meet the lady knitting container cosies to make the boxes look a bit nicer and she now needs your help!
- Contact info for Container Love here:
- email: email@example.com
- And before we go, why smokers weigh less than non-smokers. And the discovery of how smoking acts on the brain to suppress appetite, could pave the way for future weight loss treatments.
- We're playing these tracks too:
- Track: Te Amo
- Artist: Atlas Sound
- Album: Parallax (released November 2011)
- Label: 4AD
- Catalog#: CAD3130
- Broadcast at: 12:15
- Track: Sante Fe
- Artist: Beirut
- Album: The Rip Tide
- Label: POMPEII
- Catalog#: 972303
- Broadcast at: 13:10
- Track: Shot You Down
- Artist: The Audio Bullys featuring Nancy Sinatra
- Album: 101 Indie Classics
- Label: EMI
- Catalog#: 306353
- Broadcast at: 13:50
- And our theme is:
- Track: The Green Termite
- Artist: Jefferson Belt
- Album: Table Manners
- Label: Round Trip Mars
- Catalogue #: RTM 2009