Shares in the maker of Blackberry smartphones have dived after it reported a $US84 million loss for the three months to June.
The figure was better than the $518m loss for the same period last year, but much worse than analysts' forecasts, the BBC reports.
Shipments of new smartphones increased, but Blackberry did not release how many new handsets running the BB10 operating system were sold in the quarter.
Chief executive Thorstein Heins said the company was continuing to focus on the global roll-out of BB10 and was confident it would be a hit with customers.
The company, based in Ontario, Canada, said it would also post an operating loss for the next quarter running to September.
Blackberry shares closed down 28% in New York on Friday.