4 Oct 2009

Talks over future of NBC

12:18 pm on 4 October 2009

US cable TV company Comcast is reported to be in talks to buy a majority stake in NBC Universal.

NBC Universal owns the NBC television network, Universal Pictures, cable networks such as Bravo and CNBC as well as the Universal Studios theme parks.

It is 80%-owned by General Electric and 20%-owned by France's Vivendi.

Several news agencies report that Comcast is discussing buying 51% of the business, leaving GE with 49%.

The BBC reports that one of the scenarios being discussed would involve spinning NBC Universal off into a new company, which would also contain some of Comcast's channels such as the E Channel and the Golf Channel.

Comcast would reportedly pay between $US6 - $US7 billion to take a controlling stake in the new business.

Comcast previously sought to buy Walt Disney for $US54 billion five years ago. The bid was unsucessful.