Health authorities say the Canterbury earthquake has forced the cancellation of nearly 300 non-urgent operations.
In its latest update since the quake on 4 September, the district health board says it would normally do 550 elective operations at Christchurch Hospital, Christchurch Women's and Burwood Hospital each week.
The DHB says it did just 290 last week.
However, it says orthopaedic services at Burwood are almost back to their usual rate for elective surgery and will be joined progressively by other services on Tuesday.
The DHB says Akaroa Hospital is now open, but Lincoln remains closed. All other rural and city hospitals are open.
The birthing unit at Burwood remains closed. The neonatal intensive care unit remains full.