Risk forces cancellation of Christchurch walk-through
Updated at 6:32 pm on 11 March 2011
Civil Defence has cancelled a mass walk through central Christchurch next Friday, because it is too dangerous.
Authorities had been looking at the logistics of holding the walkthrough as part of Memorial Day, commemorating those who died in the 22 February quake, next Friday.
Mayor Bob Parker had said it was important for people to understand what the central city looked like, so the community could move on.
The Labour Party had questioned the timing, if it meant that people such as police or defence force staff were diverted from critical tasks to act as tour guides.
A civil defence controller, Steve Brazier, says it wasn't possible to find a route through the city which would allow people to see the damage from a safe distance.
Next story in Christchurch Earthquake : More chemical loos for Christchurch
Copyright © 2011, Radio New Zealand