The main shopping area in Christchurch's central city suburb of Sydenham will open to the public on Saturday.
About a dozen shops in the area which suffered extensive damage in the September and February earthquakes have been demolished.
Business owners and residents have already been allowed into the area.
Mike Bennett from Acorn Insurance says following last year's quake there were a large number of cordons and road closures in place.
He says now the damaged buildings have been removed and cordons lifted he sees great potential for Sydenham.
Mr Bennett says he has been frustrated at the length of time it has taken to re-enter the area, when many buildings were not damaged.