Earthquake recovery work that was due to begin in Kaiapoi on Tuesday will be delayed by up to two months.
The Waimakariri District Council's rebuilding programme has been put on hold following the Government's rezoning of the area last week.
The district was severely hit the quake on 4 September last year, but largely unaffected in the following February quake and was well advanced in its rebuilding programme.
But last week, 1500 homes in Kaiapoi and Pines Beach were re-zoned as orange, meaning further assessments of the land following aftershocks on 13 June need to be made.
The Waimakariri District Council says planned demolition and remediation land of land on hold.
Earthquake recovery manager Simon Markham says engineers are due to begin reassessments this week and the rebuilding programme could restart in one to two months.