Some properties are being insured - Council

10:25 am on 14 September 2011

Insurance Council chief executive Chris Ryan says insurance companies are, like everyone, waiting for the end of the earthquakes but in the mean time insurance can be obtained.

Some earthquake affected residents are angry their insurance company will neither pay for the full replacement of written-off homes nor insure new homes.

Mr Ryan says there is continuing insurance available where people move into a green-zoned home and take on its insurance.

But he says where people can not get new cover for a house, it is probably because it was consented or built during the earthquake period.

He told Nine to Noon insurers need to know the condition of the land the house is built on.

"If you can get the status of the land underneath the house and you can reassure them that it's not subject to liquefaction then it's quite possible insurance will be available."