8 Sep 2008

Post mortems to be held after cabin deaths

10:58 am on 8 September 2008

Post mortems will be held on Monday on two South African men believed to have been killed by carbon monoxide poisoning in a holiday cabin near Raglan.

Another man, 32, is in a serious condition in North Shore hospital. He was moved there on Sunday night from the Devonport naval base hospital where he received oxygen therapy.

The three were found in a unit at a motor camp at Ruapuke beach on Sunday morning.

Police say it appears they were using a charcoal cooker as a heater inside the hut.

They say the deaths highlight the dangers of charcoal burners in unventilated spaces.

A toxicologist says the survivor is lucky to be alive.

Dr Michael Beasleyfrom the National Poisons Centre says survivors can experience neurological and heart problems and the long-term effects are not immediately apparent.