31 May 2012

Fire prompts warning to check tradesmen's credentials

5:03 pm on 31 May 2012

An industry advisory group is urging homeowners to check the credentials of tradesmen after a gasfitting caused a house fire in Auckland.

Lorenzo Santamaria has been fined $10,500 in the Waitakere District Court after incorrectly and illegally installing gas pipework to a kitchen hob in March 2011.

He was also sentenced to 150 hours' community service.

The Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlaying Board says Mr Santamaria, who advertised his services, was not licensed or registered to carry out gasfitting work.

Deputy registrar Kern U'ren says people often see advertising and are attracted to price and availability, but fail to check if the tradesman is legally allowed to do such work.

Mr U'ren says a licence and registration is required under the Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlaying Act.