Skip to content.
Updated at 7:22 pm on 3 August 2012
New Zealanders travelling to Indonesia are being warned to be careful what they drink after a backpacker was left partially blind from cocktails laced with methanol.
The young North American woman ended up being treated in Christchurch Hospital.
The backpacker, who was 19 at the time, arrived in New Zealand suffering from shortness of breath and blurred vision some 35 hours after drinking 8 to 10 cocktails in a Balinese bar.
The poisoning, which happened almost 11 months ago, has been reported in a Australasian medical journal, prompting the warning to travellers.
An emergency physician, Paul Gee, who treated the woman in Christchurch hospital, says a lot of drinks in developing countries tend to be home-brewed.
Copyright © 2012, Radio New Zealand
Audio is categorised based on the frequency of the programme it was heard in. Click on the headings below to access the programmes. For the most recently published audio, go to the latest audio page.
Streams are in Windows Media format. Mac and Linux users may need to install additional software. Get help with audio
A selection of music interviews, reviews, videos, concerts, sessions, and performances.
Downloads and podcasts are available for selected programmes. Our podcast page has a complete list of feeds.
Help on using online audio: formats, software, podcasts, downloading, and troubleshooting.