1 Sep 2012

Fatal fire blamed on electrical fault

11:53 am on 1 September 2012

An electrical fault was the cause of a fatal fire in Hamilton, police say.

Wai Tangi Matenga died in the blaze on Holland Road on 22 August.

Detective Senior Sergeant Nigel Keall says there were no functioning smoke alarms in the house where the 37-year-old died and it was fortunate no one else was killed.

While not saying exactly what the fault was, Mr Keall said the fire should serve as a reminder to the public about overloading power points and boxes.

People should also check that the wiring of their appliances is not damaged or frayed, and it is important to check that power plugs are not covered by rugs, clothes or anything else that allows heat to build up, he said.