9 Dec 2008

Man pleads guilty to manslaughter in Jhia case

9:29 am on 9 December 2008

One of six men accused of murdering a Wanganui toddler on Monday pleaded guilty to the lesser charge of manslaughter.

Godfrey Muraahi also pleaded guilty in the High Court in Wellington to participating in an organised criminal group on the night that Jhia Te Tua died in May last year.

Earlier, Justice Gendell had discharged him on a charge of assault.

Muraahi has been remanded in custody for sentencing at a later date.

Meanwhile, a man charged with being an accessory to the fatal shooting told the court he was not involved in changing the appearance of the alleged gunman.

Luke Check denied he had told other Mongrel Mob members that he would take alleged gunman Hayden Wallace to his home in Marton and change his appearance.

He also denied telling them he would burn Mr Wallace's clothing and put him on a bus to Napier or Hastings.