Middlemore Hospital is defending its security after a three-year-old child was taken from the burns unit.
A family member, who was not supposed to be caring for the boy, took him on Sunday.
Police have since charged the man with wilful neglect, though it's expected that charge will change.
Child Youth and Family has been involved with the family since the boy suffered serious burns in a house fire in Waikato last month. It says the boy is now in the agency's care.
A spokesperson from Middlemore Hospital says it has no security concerns in regards to the incident. The spokesperson says Middlemore is a hospital service, not a prison service.