The Department of Conservation has confirmed there will be further restructuring and job losses are likely.
Officials from the department appeared before Parliament's Local Government and Environment select committee on Thursday for the department's its financial review.
In the last year, the department spent $7.7 million in redundancy payments after more than 100 jobs were cut and the officials said there may be another high figure for redundancies in the next year as it will be making more changes.
Deputy director-general of operations Sue Cosford said the first phase of restructuring was for back-office support services, and this time the focus will be on field positions.
Decisions should be made by July next year on how many jobs might be cut.