9 Jan 2013

Bars hard to blame for methanol drinks

10:08 am on 9 January 2013

A doctor who treated a woman blinded from methanol poisoning says it is difficult to hold Indonesian bars to account for the deaths of tourists killed from drinking laced drinks.

A teenager died in hospital in Perth on Sunday after drinking a drink laced with methanol on the island of Lombok.

Dr Paul Gee said he treated a North American tourist for methanol poisoning last year at Christchurch hospital after she fell ill from drinking cocktails in Bali.

He said she didn't feel sick until she arrived in New Zealand more than 24 hours later and was left permanently blind.

Dr Gee said methanol is tasteless, making it hard to trace its origin.