Police funding will be increased by up to $5 million to manage extra road policing that will be necessary once rules regarding warrant of fitness change, the Transport Agency says.
The Government's planned overhaul of the system will see fewer cars needing six-monthly checks and the newest vehicles not tested for three years following an initial inspection.
The Transport Agency said the move would save motorists $1.8 billion over 30 years.
Changes expected to be in force by July 2014 include:
- An initial inspection for new cars, followed by annual inspections once vehicles are three years old
- Annual inspections for vehicles three years and older and first registered on or after 1 January 2000
- Six-monthly inspections for vehicles first registered before 1 January 2000
The Government says the relaxation of the checks will also come with increased enforcement by police.
Transport Agency chief executive Geoff Dangerfield told a news conference on Monday that police will receive between $2.5 million and $5 million in funding to help with extra road policing.
"We would expect simple roadside checks on the things that matter - and the things that do matter tend to be brakes and lights and tyres."
Police Association president Greg O'Connor had earlier said that if police did not get more resourcing for the increased enforcement, other areas would miss out.
The Motor Trade Association says more than 2000 people in the automotive industry will lose their jobs because of the changes.
Spokesperson Ian Stronach said the new system will not only put more unsafe vehicles on the road but will hit vehicle industry hard.
"Given the Government have gone out of their way to play up the fact that there will be more apprenticeships available - well there certainly won't be in our trade."
But the Transport Agency's chief executive, Geoff Dangerfield, says the motor trade industry will need to find new ways to earn revenue.