28 Jan 2013

Boy burned in gas bottle explosion

10:04 pm on 28 January 2013

An 11-year-old boy has been flown to Nelson hospital after he was burned when a gas bottle exploded at a barbecue.

The Nelson/Marlborough Rescue Helicopter was called to the Kaiteriteri camping ground about 8.30pm on Monday.

Paramedic Gary Tobin says the boy was wearing a singlet and suffered burns to about 10% of his upper body, including his face, back and arms.

He had been cooking whitebait fritters on the barbecue for his father when the explosion happened.

Mr Tobin says family had cooled the boy's burns for about 20 minutes with water before the helicopter arrived which helped reduce their severity.