18 Mar 2009

Trail of blood found in Bain family home

8:15 pm on 18 March 2009

The jury in the retrial of David Bain has been shown graphic video footage and told of a trail of blood found in the family's Dunedin home.

The Crown says Mr Bain, 36, murdered his parents Robin and Margaret and siblings Arawa, Laniet and Stephen at the family's house in Every Street on 20 June 1994.

The defence says Robin Bain killed the family present in the house before shooting himself.

The Crown continued its case at the High Court in Christchurch on Wednesday.

It alleges David Bain made the trail after killing his family then putting his bloodied clothes in the washing machine.

Luminol testing for blood stains revealed a series of footprints in the house, which the Crown says David Bain made after his deadly struggle with his younger brother Stephen.

Stephen's room was covered in blood as he was initially shot in the hand, and then struggled with his killer.

The officer in charge of the crime scene, Milton Weir, told the court that luminol was used in the house on the night of 20 June 1994, about 12 hours after the family was found dead.

Mr Weir pointed out areas of the house where tests highlighted blood on the carpet, some of which could be identified as footprints.

He measured the footprints and said they ranged from 24cm to 28cm and were found in or outside the bedrooms of Stephen, Margaret and Laniet.

Luminol also highlighted a patch of blood in the hallway heading in the direction of David Bain's bedroom.

Mr Weir told the court other prints were found in the house and blood smears on light switches, door frames, a kitchen cabinet, the washing machine and a net curtain.

The defence waived its right to cross-examine Mr Weir until after he gives his next batch of evidence.

Graphic footage shown of house

Earlier, David Bain sat with his head bowed during much of the screening of the video footage inside the house and several jurors looked away during the most graphic points.

Media guidelines allowed the accused to be filmed for the first 15 minutes of each day during which the video was screened. Mr Bain could be seen with his head down as video screens showed close-ups of his dead family members and their injuries.

Margaret Bain had been shot through the left eye and Robin Bain had a wound by his temple. In Stephen's room, a bullet is seen embedded in his blood-stained pillow.

A former detective at the house on the day of the killings told the court he was surprised to see David Bain taking an interest in broadcasts from the police radio.

Kevin Anderson, who has since retired, went into Mr Bain's bedroom where the accused was lying on the floor being attended to by ambulance officers.

Mr Anderson told the court he noticed Mr Bain taking an interest in whatever broadcasts were made across the police radio. He alerted another police officer, who turned the radio down.

The Crown alleges David Bain faked hysteria and illness to convince authorities he did not kill his family. The defence says Mr Bain's actions were due to intense shock and trauma.