A marine engineering company has been ordered to pay $35,000 following a boat explosion in January last year.
Mangawhai Engineering and Marine limited was fined $20,000 and ordered to pay reparations of $15,000 after the explosion injured three people and left one with permanent hearing loss.
The explosion happened after a metal gas pipe was struck during boat repairs.
The Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment said the company owner performed a 'sniff' test to determine whether there was any hazardous vapour.
Northern health manager John Howard said this was completely inadequate for the repair and he failed to ensure the safety of those on board.