24 Mar 2009

Dog's death prompts warning over poisonous plants

3:26 pm on 24 March 2009

Health authorities have issued a warning about poisonous plants after a dog died from eating berries in a park in east Auckland.

Auckland Regional Public Health Service says the animal died in February after eating berries from karaka trees in Madills Farm Park.

Medical Officer of Health Simon Baker says the warning applies to parents as well as pet owners, as young children may also be tempted by plants and berries which look edible.

Dr Baker says people need to be aware of what is growing in their own backyard, as it is surprising how many plants in the average household garden can be poisonous.

There are more than 100 types of poisonous plants in New Zealand, he says.