A Dunedin woman who pulled a neighbour to safety from his burning flat says she did not stop to think about her actions.
The fire at a council-owned flat on Glen Road in Mornington on Monday night quickly engulfed the end of the four-flat block.
Sarah Tregonning rushed across the road, but flames and smoke were shooting out of the front of the building
Ms Tregonning says she went around the back and saw the man in the doorway looking disoriented, so she pulled him to safety as glass exploded around them.
Neighbours have described her actions as heroic.
But Ms Tregonning says she does not feel like a hero, because her adrenaline was pumping so hard she did not give any thought to her actions at the time.
She says the neighbour was beside himself trying to save his cat.
Ms Tregonning says he was white and shaking, so she and other helpers walked him to the roadside to calm down.
The cat ran off to safety.