4 Apr 2013

Another fire in Doha mall - report

12:00 pm on 4 April 2013

Another fire has broken out at the shopping mall in Doha where 19 people, including New Zealand triplets, died in a blaze last year.

The Doha News website reports the fire broke out in a clothing store inside Villaggio Mall on Thursday and shoppers had to be evacuated.

It quoted the Qatar Ministry of Interior's Twitter account as stating the fire was caused by an electrical issue with an air conditioning unit.

It said the fire was brought under control and part of the mall was able to be reopened, although witnesses said one entrance to the building is closed because there is flooding.

Two-year-old New Zealand triplets Lillie, Jackson and Willsher Weekes died in last May's fire which an official report found started in the roof of a shop when a light fitting failed.