A total fire ban for the Wellington region has been lifted on Friday.
The ban was imposed on 8 March, but recent rain and falling temperatures have reduced the fire risk.
It covered Wellington City and north to Hutt Valley and the Kapiti Coast.
Wellington rural fire officer Jock Darragh says fires can now be lit outdoors, providing they have a permit. Gas barbecues can be used at any time.
However, the Wellington Regional Council says there has not been enough rain to lift the ban on outdoor water use, which will remain in place until a significant downpour.
The council says last week's rain was considerably less than forecast and rivers will drop to pre-Easter levels in a day or two.