New Zealand sporting organisations have expressed their shock at the Boston marathon bombing.
Two bombs exploded at the finish line of the marathon on Tuesday killing three people and injuring more than 170.
Athletics New Zealand said international marathons attracted a lot of New Zealanders.
Communications manager Brett Addison said he was shocked an event that celebrated sport and fitness was targeted.
He said his organisation had been working with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to ensure all New Zealand participants in the marathon were safe, and as far as can be established, all were.
About 45 New Zealanders competed in the race and the ministry said it was trying to make contact with people in the area.