The Fire Service says a fire at a recycling plant in Christchurch, which has been burning for more than eight weeks, is expected to take another week to put out.
The Owaka Pit plant spontaneously combusted at the end of March and was left to burn until the Fire Service could safely move in on 8 May.
Assistant Area Commander Steve Kennedy said a pond has been dug and smouldering material is being soaked in it.
Mr Kennedy said the scale of the 4000 cubic metre pit is difficult to work with, but three quarters of it has been extinguished.
The crew will remain onsite for at least another week putting out hot spots.