New Zealand's capital will not host the world premiere of the second Hobbit film.
The world premiere of the first instalment, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, drew crowds of thousands to the streets of Wellington in November last year.
However, a spokesperson for film-maker Sir Peter Jackson says while the premiere location for the next film has not been confirmed, it will not be there.
Prime Minister John Key said on Monday the capital was never going to host all of the Hobbit premieres and that contentious employment law changes that enabled the trilogy to be made in New Zealand were not a waste.
"Not in the slightest - if you look at the data that's been produced recently about tourism numbers to New Zealand and the comments by the head of tourism, it's quite clear that we've had an uplift in activity as a result of the Hobbit movies.
"Really it's just beginning - these movies are going to play for a long time, the DVDs will play for a long time."