24 Jun 2013

Man admits New Year's Day rape

10:09 pm on 24 June 2013

A fisheries worker has pleaded guilty to the rape of a woman in Nelson on New Year's Day.

Hilton Hone Heke admitted seven charges when he appeared at the Nelson District Court on Monday.

The 22-year-old initially faced eight charges relating to the attack on a 62-year-old woman in broad daylight on 31 January last year.

The woman was working in the Victory community gardens when she was subjected to a sustained assault.

Judge Zohrab said one charge would be withdrawn and some of the detail of the attack suppressed to protect the woman, who is said to be still severely traumatised by the ordeal.

Defence lawyer Tony Bamford told the court that Heke is having trouble coming to terms with what he has done.

Heke will be sentenced on 19 August.