22 Jun 2009

Rape accused tried to leave NZ, court told

4:04 pm on 22 June 2009

A man accused of a sex attack on a woman tried to leave New Zealand some months later using an emergency American passport, a jury has been told.

Joseph Vince Logan is before the High Court in Wellington charged with rape.

Crown prosecutor Tom Gilbert told the court on Monday the woman met Joseph Logan in a bar in Wellington in September 2007.

Mr Gilbert said the woman was later taken to an apartment, and when she tried to leave, Mr Logan hit her.

The court was told police arranged a meeting with Mr Logan in July last year.

However, the day before that meeting, the accused was found at Auckland Airport trying to board a flight to Chile.