31 Jul 2009

Children find their parents dead in bedroom

10:16 pm on 31 July 2009

Three Taumarunui children found their parents dead in their bedroom on Thursday morning. Accidental death by carbon monoxide poisoning is suspected.

The bodies of David Nicholas Otimi, 43, and his wife Bernadette Otimi, 41, were discovered at a Taupo Road address in a bedroom that contained a patio-style gas heater.

Post-mortem examinations were done on Friday to establish the causes of death but Detective Senior Sergeant Keith Borrell of the Taumarunui police says that gas is the most probable cause, suggesting a tragic accident caused by the use of outdoor equipment in the home.

The deaths are not being treated as suspicious and the matter has been referred to the coroner.

The police say the couple's three children, all aged under 13, and all of whom were in the house at the time, are being cared for by family.