The Defence Force will review security levels in New Zealand following the arrests of alleged terrorists in Australia on Tuesday.
However the details of any findings or subsequent changes will not be made public.
Five men are being questioned over an alleged conspiracy to attack soldiers at a barracks in Sydney.
Defence Force spokesperson Commander Shaun Fogarty says New Zealand's security is already constantly assessed, and information is routinely shared with neighbouring countries and allies.
He says domestic security is taken very seriously and the Defence Force appreciates that acts of terrorism can happen anywhere and at any time.
Prime Minister John Key says New Zealand and Australia have been fortunate so far not to be subjected to any serious domestic terrorism. However, he says Tuesday's arrests serve as a warning.
Mr Key says the alert in Australia shows there is no room for complacency when it comes to the threat of terrorism.
He says New Zealand works closely with Australia on matters of security and will continue to do so.