26 Aug 2009

Firefighters injured at house blaze

4:31 pm on 26 August 2009

Two fire fighters were injured while trying to extinguish a blazing two storey house in Waikato.

The Fire Service says more than 16 fire fighters and five appliances were needed to bring a large blaze under control in an old house on Newell road near Tamahere.

They were called shortly before 10am on Wednesday.

The two injured firefighters were trying to get into the house from different entrances, when a fireball flashed in one of the rooms.

Their helmets melted and their hands, necks and heads were blistered.

The two were treated at the scene for minor burns by ambulance staff and are being checked at a medical centre.