An outdoor gas heater being recalled is the same brand found in a bedroom in which two people died earlier this year.
Hardware chain Mitre 10 is recalling about 2000 Meteor tabletop patio gas heaters sold since 2006 because of unsafe carbon monoxide emission levels.
In July, a Taumaranui couple died from what police believe was the result of an outdoor patio gas heater being used to heat a room.
Mitre 10 management on Wednesday confirmed that brand of heater was the Meteor, which is made in China.
Mitre 10 says although a Coroner's report is yet to be released, the company was troubled enough by the connection with the tragedy to undertake an investigation.
Though only the Meteor brand is being recalled, Mitre 10 says it will remove all tabletop heaters from its range for the summer because of wider safety concerns.