6 Oct 2009

What were David Bourke's movements? Police need help

10:12 pm on 6 October 2009

Now that suspected gunman David Bourke is in police custody, the police are appealing for help from the public in tracing his movements over the two days he was on the run.

Mr Bourke was found at 10.40am on Tuesday after being at large in southern Hawke's Bay since late Sunday afternoon.

Wanting to speak to him in connection with the discovery of a man's body in the boot of his car and the shooting of a farmworker, the police cordoned off an area of about 3,000ha in order to conduct an intensive search, which at its peak involved 40 armed officers.

Superintendent Russell Gibson says they now need help from the public.

"There are several people within the cordoned area who we have yet to speak to who have had contact with the suspect over the last two days," he says, "and we are eager to hear from them."

The police are also eager to trace the movements of Mr Bourke's green Honda car from the time it left Wanganui at 8am Sunday.

The identity of the man whose body was found in the car has been established but not yet released. Mr Gibson will not say if the dead man was a friend or relative of David Bourke, or how he died.

Short struggle in golf club toilet block

Mr Bourke, 46, of Wanganui, was apprehended in a toilet block at the Norsewood Golf Club in Kopua Road. He was carrying a shotgun.

There was a short struggle before he was taken into custody.

Police say he is being treated for hypothermia but is otherwise well.

He has been charged with driving offences but is likely to face more charges as the investigation continues.

Relief for residents

Dairy farmers caught up in the hunt for David Bourke are relieved life can return to normal.

Most dairy farmers inside the 3000 hectare police cordon had not been able to properly feed or look after their cows because of the tight police security.

Andrew Young from Whenuahou Road says the disruption will have a considerable effect on milk production.

He says it will be a couple of weeks before the cows are back into full production.