17 Dec 2009

Wellington bomb scare arrest made in Sydney

10:07 pm on 17 December 2009

The police in Australia have arrested a man said to be behind a bomb scare that caused disruption in central Wellington last week.

On Wednesday 9 December a teller at the National Bank in Featherston Street was handed a note suggesting there was a bomb in the building.

A police cordon was put in place, causing heavy traffic congestion during the evening rush hour. A search by the police bomb squad found nothing.

Detective Senior Sergeant Paul Borrell says the wanted man, 34, left Wellington on Thursday morning and was later apprehended at Sydney Airport.

He has been remanded in custody until later this month while the New Zealand police attempt to extradite him from Australia.