13 Jul 2013

Elderly post-quake situation said to be desperate

9:02 am on 13 July 2013

An advocate for a community group says many elderly residents affected by the earthquakes in Christchurch are in desperate living situations.

The Wider Earthquake Communities Action Network of Canterbury asked for information on why urgent claims by elderly residents were being delayed.

Group spokespersonSarah O'Brian said the residents cannot move on and are effectively blocked by the Earthquake Commission.

On Friday, Labour earthquake spokesperson Clayton Cosgrove said he would take over an OIA request on behalf of the commission.

The Earthquake Commission previously told the group it would charge $24,000 to provide the information requested.

Mr Cosgrove said he will refile the request as soon as possible.