23 Jan 2010

Girl catches fire while sniffing petrol

5:47 pm on 23 January 2010

A 12-year-old girl has been seriously injured after catching fire while sniffing petrol.

A fire service spokesperson says police were called to what they thought was a house fire at Calvert Ave in Mangere East, at 8.25pm on Friday.

When crews arrived, they found a friend had managed to drag the girl to water, putting out the flames.

Fire service spokesperson, Colin Underdown, says an ignition source, such as a cigarette or lighter, was nearby when the the girl was sniffing the fumes.

The girl was taken to Middlemore Hospital and is in intensive care in a serious condition. She will remain there until she can breathe properly.