9 Mar 2015

Thailand fails to heed toxin warnings - father

9:58 am on 9 March 2015

The father of a New Zealand woman who died in Thailand of suspected pesticide poisoning says Thai authorities have ignored subsequent recommendations to reduce health risks for tourists.

Sarah Carter

Sarah Carter Photo: Facebook

Sarah Carter died in 2011 after staying in a Chiang Mai Hotel where large quantities of a toxic bed-bug pesticide were found to have been used.

Soon after that Thai authorities said they were following government disease control recommendations and cracking down on the use of chemicals such as pesticides in hotels.

But last week, a Canadian coroner found the deaths of two Canadian sisters in similar circumstances a year later was probably caused by the toxic pesticide phosphine.

Sarah Carter's father, Richard Carter, said nothing had changed.

"It doesn't surprise me there were a large number of deaths in Thailand caused by their very poor usage of chemicals.

"But my main concern is whether they have taken to task the recommendations."

He said international pressure needed to be put on Thailand.

Get the new RNZ app

for ad-free news and current affairs