21 Dec 2008

Fire engulfs Penrose warehouse

6:06 am on 21 December 2008

Firemen working to put out a massive blaze at a cool store in Auckland on Saturday had to contend with asbestos fumes.

The blaze at the Southdown Freezing Works on Hugo-Johnston Drive in Penrose started at about 6pm on Saturday.

One person is said to live in the warehouse and is yet to be located. The Fire Service said an ambulance was on standby.

Assistant regional fire manager Peter Wilding says the building is very old and clad with poisonous asbestos. He warned those flocking to the site to see the fire to stay away for their own safety.

The police blocked off several roads in the area and suspended nearby commuter trains.

More than 20 appliances attended the scene. At the height of the fire the largely disused building was fully engulfed in flames.