A man who claimed a senior public servant assaulted him has told a Wellington jury he did not tell the complete and honest truth in his police video interview.
The man was giving evidence on Monday at the Wellington District Court trial of a senior public servant whose name and identifying details are suppressed.
The man told the court he rang police on Good Friday last year, and an investigation was started after he told them the accused had assaulted him in August 2008.
The complainant said on Monday he had stolen money from the accused, who found him in Manners Mall in central Wellington, dragged him to a nearby car and pushed him into the back seat.
Initially, the complainant said the accused had punched him in the head while he was in the back seat of the car.
However, while being cross-examined he said the accused had never punched him, and he now believes if the accused hurt his face, it was done unintentionally.
Cross-examination of the complainant will continue on Tuesday.